Homemade Apple Cranberry Granola – Vegan & Gluten Free!
I have never made my own granola before so combined a few recipes to come up with something I thought would taste good. I was surprised how effortless this was, and I have to say it tasted pretty darn good. I did the lower fat version which used apple sauce in place of most of the butter and oil. If you wanted it to be a crunchier form of granola you could just swap out the apple sauce and add in some butter and oil. I made these as Christmas gifts for a few close friends/family and it felt really good to give loved ones not only something homemade but also healthy during the holidays.
Average Time: 55 minutes
3 1/2 cups oats (not quick oats) – I used gluten free
1 cup almonds or pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped dried apples
1 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
3. In a small saucepan, warm the applesauce with the honey, canola oil, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Spread the mixture evenly on a large baking sheet.
5. Bake the granola for about 45 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until the granola is golden brown. Remove from oven, and stir in the dried apples and cranberries. Let the granola cool completely. Store the granola in a large, airtight container. The granola will keep for up to one month.